Goulburn Strathbogie Region Quality Assured™
Our region has particular advantages as a source of premium extra virgin olive oil (EVOO).
- The region is situated in a climatic ‘sweet spot’ for oil quality (RIRDC Publication No. 13/094).
- The region is dominated by small to medium size growers who care passionately about their trees, their olives, and their olive oil.
- The region is one of very few that has an active Producer Association raising the quality of local oil by educating growers on the benefits and ‘how-to’ of improving oil quality.
We have therefore introduced a distinctive regional ‘seal’ that certifies our EVOO as originating from our region and has been independently tested for quality.
Purchasing EVOO with the seal on the label is your guarantee that:
- The oil has been produced in the Goulburn Strathbogie Region.
- The oil meets the requirements of the Australian Olive Association Code of Practice for extra virgin olive oil (see below).
- The oil’s freshness can be assessed by date of harvest as shown on the bottle.
Certified Australian Extra Virgin™
Our producers are encouraged to become signatories to the Australian Olive Association (AOA) Code of Practice (COP) that permits them to use the COP symbol on their label.
The COP was developed to underpin and enhance the high quality of Australian EVOO and associated production processes. The COP:
- Establishes authenticity and quality of Australian EVOO.
- Provides security and confidence for consumers.
- Establishes a framework that encompasses good business practice with HACCP-style production controls and environmental responsibility.
- Establish a compliance culture within the industry in relation to the Trade Practices Act and relevant fair-trading and food safety legislation.
- Is a prerequisite for producers to use the Goulburn Strathbogie regional quality seal.